Monday, August 3, 2009

Roasted Vegetables Over Brown Rice with Balsamic Vinaigrette

Jeff was really not too excited about our vegan meal the other night when he heard about it, but it was really pretty good. Lately I feel like we have been eating too much meat. I used to be good about making at least one vegetarian meal a week, but ever since being pregnant with Luke I have become a meatatarian. So, I thought I would start getting back to the way things used to be and this meal is what I came up with. It is not too terribly inventive but adding the balsamic vinaigrette to the top does make it seem a bit more lively than just rice and veggies.

First I halved a red pepper, halved 2 small Japanese eggplants, and halved 3 smallish zucchini. Then I drizzled then with extra virgin olive oil, salt and freshly ground pepper. Then I popped them into a 400° oven for about 30 minutes while my rice was cooking away.
They looked like this when they came out. Scrumptious. (You know, just about as delicious as roasted veggies can be.)
Then I cut up the veggies and served them on top of the brown rice with balsamic vinaigrette on top. And there you have it. About as healthy as it comes and as easy as 1-2-3.

Balsamic Vinaigrette
(from Oprah.com)

3T balsamic vinegar
1 T red wine vinegar
1 t dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, pressed
3/4 c extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

Combine vinegars, mustard and garlic in a blender and blend until smooth. Slowly add olive oil while the blender is running. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Bon Appetit!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment