Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Green Chile and Cilantro Hummus

I really love August because that is when Central Market has their Hatch Chile Festival. I really love being able to get everything Hatch. They have scones, buns, bread, pimiento cheese, salsa, and burgers all with Hatch chiles in them. And best of all, they have fresh and freshly roasted chiles. Last time I went to the store I bought a pound of roasted chiles but nothing in mind to make with them. I thought they would be great in hummus. I usually buy store-bought hummus because I can't get mine to taste quite as good, but this time it was great. I think this recipe is a keeper.

Roasted Green Chile and Cilantro Hummus

2 cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 c tahini (sesame seed paste)
4 cloves of garlic, pressed
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 c water
1 t kosher salt
1/4 c cilantro
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
4 mild roasted green chiles

Place chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, water, salt, and cilantro in the bowl of a food processor. Run the machine until the ingredients are pureed. While the food processor is running, slowly add the olive oil. Finally, add the green chiles and pulse until the chiles are chopped and incorporated into the hummus.

Serving suggestion:
Pita bread (cut into quarters) and topped with shredded cheddar cheese, a tomato and cucumber salad (chopped with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper), and sunflower sprouts. This was a really delicious lunch!

Bon Appetit!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment