Sunday, August 9, 2009

Quinoa Salad

I recently made fish tacos and they were really good. They were so good in fact that I thought I would grill some Mahi Mahi and have that for my entree one night. Well, let me tell you that this time the fish was not quite as good. I'm not sure if it was that I liked it better baked or if I liked the seasoning better last time I made it. I think maybe it is a little bit of both. This time I only seasoned the fish with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Since Mahi Mahi is usually a pretty big piece of fish, I think that it would have better with more flavor. Oh well, now I know.
I made a quinoa salad to go with the fish and it was really good. I put olives, red onion, red peppers and chickpeas. But what is so great about it is that you can put anything in here. It would be great with feta cheese and roasted red peppers, or with black beans, corn and queso fresco. If you have never had quinoa I highly recommend it. It kind of reminds me of couscous, but it tastes nuttier. I made the quinoa concoction right before dinner, but it was much better the next day. If you make this be sure to make it ahead if time.

Quinoa Salad

1 cup dried quinoa
3-4 T red wine vinegar
1/8 c extra virgin olive oil
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 of a red onion, diced
1/4 c green olives, chopped
1 can garbanzo beans
salt and pepper to taste

Cook the quinoa according to the directions on the box. Meanwhile, mix the vinegar and the olive oil in a small bowl. Place the red pepper, red onion, green olives and garbanzo beans in a large bowl. When the quinoa is finished cooking add it to the large bowl and pour the vinaigrette over it. Season with salt and pepper.

Bon Appetit!
Jen

1 comment:

  1. Girl...I made a delicious quinoa recipe the other day....quinoa and black beans (on allrecipes). I made it for a main course with chicken and some other additions and served it over a bed of lettuce....DELISH! Let me know if you want my changes.

    ReplyDelete