Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Bruschetta Chicken

Nothing says summer to me more than fresh tomatoes and basil. But, unfortunately, we are not quite there yet. The tomatoes in my garden are still green, but I did get to use fresh basil. We grilled once again last night and this time we made Bruschetta Chicken. It is a really great summer dish that I think will be even better when I can use fresh tomatoes from my garden. Jeff and I were talking last night and we thought that this would also be good with cheddar cheese and pico de gallo on top for a Mexican version. I served the chicken with roasted fingerling potatoes and sauteed spinach.

Bruschetta Chicken
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts*
extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground sea salt and pepper
Fresh mozzarella, sliced

Tomato topping
2 large Roma tomatoes, diced
1/4 c. diced onion
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 c. fresh basil
2 T extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground sea salt and pepper

Season the chicken breasts with olive oil, salt and pepper to prepare it for the grill. For the tomato topping: add tomotoes, onion, garlic, and basil to a small mixing bowl. Add the olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Grill the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 160°. Place the sliced mozzarella on top of the chicken and finish cooking on the grill until the cheese is melted. Before serving, top with the tomato mixture.
*note: If the chicken is thick, it would be best if it is either butterflied or pounded.

Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
1.5 lbs. fingerling potatoes, cut in half lengthwise
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t onion powder
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

In a large mixing bowl, add potatoes, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Toss potatoes with olive oil. Spread the potatoes out on a foil lined baking sheet and bake at 400° for 30 min., turning half way through.

Bon Appetit!
Jen

2 comments:

  1. I'll definitely be making this. I finally have an herb garden again so I can use my own fresh basil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fresh herbs are really one of the best parts of spring/summer!

    ReplyDelete