Friday, June 19, 2009

Salad with Grilled Chicken and Grilled French Bread

Wow, it is really hot outside! I think the heat index today is around 109°. Crazy! What sounds even crazier to me is turning on the oven right now. I have been sticking to salads, things I can make in the crock pot (more on that later!), and things we can grill. After Mexico and the resort's really great salad bars, salads have been on my mind. This salad is really straightforward and is not really a recipe, but I thought I would share my idea because it was really good. Anything would be good on the salad, bput I put tomatoes, hearts of palm, bleu cheese, garbanzo beans, and celery on a bed of Romaine lettuce. I put grilled chicken (dressed in olive oil, salt and fresh black pepper before grilling) on top. For the dressing, I made a simple balsamic vinaigrette. I also put a loaf of french bread on the grill and it was delicious! To prepare the bread for the grill: cut the loaf in half lenghtwise and put olive oil, salt and pepper on top. Place the bread on the grill cut side down. The bread will only sit on the grill for a minute or two. Be careful not to burn it!

Balsamic Vinaigrette

In a bowl, whisk together 1 T of Dijon mustard and 3 T of balsamic vinegar. While whisking, slowly add about a 1/4 c. of extra virgin olive oil.

note: These amounts are my best guess. I usually just "eyeball" it when I make salad dressing! Just keep tasting it as you make it and add more or less of anything you think it might need. And, remember to taste your dressing on a piece of lettuce, not your finger. (That way you know what it taste like on the salad.)

Bon Appetit!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment