Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Pollo Guisado Tacos

Seriously. Easiest meal ever. And really, it was pretty good. I am pretty much a fan of anything in a tortilla. Add guacamole to the top and I am sold. I made this with a combination of chicken breasts and chicken thighs (though any kind of chicken would work) and after about 4 hours in the crockpot the meat was very tender and falling apart. Warning: This recipe makes a lot of meat, but I think it would freeze well!

Pollo Guisado Tacos

3 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
4 chicken thighs
1 t. kosher salt
1 small can of mild diced green chiles
1 t. dried ancho chile powder
1 t. garlic powder
a few dashes of onion powder
juice of 1 lime

Put all the ingredients in the crockpot along with 1/2- 1 cup of water. Cook on high for about 4 hours or until the chicken falls apart. Shred the chicken and then let it stew in the cooking liquid on low for about an hour. At the very end of cooking I squeezed the lime juice on the chicken. It was good, but it would better to serve the tacos with a lime wedge and squeeze on the lime just before eating.

I served my tacos with guacamole and a white Mexican cheese.

Bon Appetit!
Jen

2 comments:

  1. I'll definitely have to try this. Looks like the salt and green chiles are the only salt in the recipe, so I think it would be legal for Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these last week. They were SO yummy! Dennis loved them too. The meat is actually pretty versatile...I could also see it on a toasted bun or something. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete